Ever been watching a game only to notice that the back of a player’s sock over their calf has a big hole in it? It may surprise you to know that it’s totally intentional! The hole has been made by the player who has torn or cut a hole in it before the game. But why do footballers rip or cut their socks?
We’re here with everything you need to about this strange phenomenon. So, keep reading to find out why footballers rip or cut their socks and whether or not it’s something you need to do too!
Table of Contents
Why do footballers rip or cut their socks?
The reasons are two-fold.
Firstly, it’s all about comfort. By cutting a hole in their socks, players can reduce pressure from their tight socks on their calf muscles, so they don’t feel restricted or too tight when they’re playing.
Secondly, it’s also believed that ripped or cut socks can improve blood circulation to the feet and lower legs, which is beneficial for both recovery and performance during a match.
Do women footballers cut their socks?
There’s no reason why women footballers couldn’t cut their socks for the same reasons as men. In fact, many professional female footballers do just that!
We don’t all have the calves of Jack Grealish, but socks can get pretty tight and shrink after a lot of washing and a few too many turns in the tumble dryer.
They don’t look great, let’s face it. But when it comes to improved performance, comfort and blood circulation, there’s nothing wrong with a little hole in your sock!
So, if you’re a woman footballer and you’re looking for a bit more comfort or circulation, ripping or cutting your socks could be the answer.
Reasons to cut your football socks
1. To reduce pressure on the calf muscles
2. To improve blood circulation to the feet and lower legs
3. For more comfort while playing
4. To avoid restrictions from tight socks
How to cut your football socks step-by-step
There’s nothing quite like a brand new pair of football socks. They’re crisp, they’re clean, and they make you feel like you can take on the world.
If you love playing football but hate the feeling of tight, constricting socks, then this hack is for you.
All you need is a pair of scissors and a little bit of time, and you’ll be on your way to enjoying the game in comfort.
- First, put on the football socks and mark on the calf where you want to make the cut. Choose the area that’s tightest on your calf as this is where you’ll want to release the pressure.
- Then, take off the socks and lay them flat.
- Use the scissors to make a single slit or several smaller slits along the marks.
- Be sure not to cut too close to the edge of the sock, as this could cause it to unravel.
- Once you’re finished cutting, put the socks back on and see how much better they feel.
- And that’s it! You’ve successfully cut your football socks!
Watch and learn: How to wear your football socks like a pro.
Here’s an awesome film that shows you how to wear your football socks and shin pads like a professional!
So there you have it! Now you know why footballers rip or cut their socks and whether or not it’s something you should do too.
So go ahead and give it a try if you’re looking for improved comfort or circulation while playing football. Good luck!